The project involved a complete refurbishment of both the main and the extension roofs on the property. Both roofs needed to be completely stripped, which involved stripping off the old interlocking tiles along with the battens and the bituminous felt.
The main roof required the old timber work to be removed and disposed off responsibly. Additionally, there were 8 cornice ornaments on the front facade, which also needed to be removed so that the top 8 brick courses could be rebuilt to counteract outward bowing in the head of the front elevation. Once this was resolved, the cornice ornaments were replaced. The parapet walls and coping also needed to be completely restored and reinforced with helibars. We set up a new roof structure - building up trusses, laying out quilted insulation, setting out breathable membrane, eaves protection strip, and battens and laying out artificial slates. The use of artificial slates reduced the weight of the roof and made installation simpler and, therefore, quicker than when using genuine slates. Likewise the use of a Uni-Vent Rapid Ridge System® offers a modern and effective approach to ensuring secure and watertight fixing for the ridge and hip tiles. We also fitted up Uni-Vent Rapid Ridge System®. Fitting new fascias and guttering, repointed the main chimney and undertook lead work all around – apron flashing, step flashing with soakers and lead valleys.
For the extension roof, we needed to align the rafters correctly prior to setting out a breathable membrane, eaves protection strip and battens, laying out artificial slates. Artificial slates are often preferable to genuine slate tiles for extensions as they are lighter and, therefore, place fewer structural demands on the fabric of the extension. Insulation was not held to be necessary for the extension roof, but the use of a breathable membrane does provide a certain degree of insulation as well as some proof against condensation. As with the main roof, the extension roof also required a complete restoration of the parapet walls. We repaired the brickwork and reinforced the parapet with helibars. To complete the project we repointed the chimney and sealed the original skylight before undertaking lead work all around. For the main roof, this involved step flashing, apron flashing, chimney welded apron and soakers and for the skylight area, it involved welded apron and back gutter, step flashing and soakers. The extension roof was finished off with new fascias and guttering.